Thursday, November 8, 2012

Revision 1 of Narrative Assignment

Narrative Assignment
By:Charles Timpy

    My grandma Dorothy is one of the oldest people I know, and also one of the most interesting in terms of what events she’s lived through. The Great Depression. WWII. The Vietnam War. So many experiences, so little time. That’s why I decided to interview her for my Narrative essay.

    My grandma was born in 1930 in Fairview Oklahoma. During the first few years of her childhood, she and her brothers lived in a small house, in the countryside of Oklahoma. When she was around 5 years old, she and her family moved to Union, Oregon. It was a quiet, small community at the time, with few people, and far in between neighbors’ houses. As there weren’t people close enough for a young girl as herself to socialize with, she spent most of her time taking care of her siblings, and learning to cook and clean. The move to Union sort of changed that, because people lived closer together, and she was within walking distance of kids her age. Though it took about 2 weeks, it was worth it. Growing up in The Great Depression didn’t affect her, though, as she was born into it. It had always been the normal way of life for her, and she didn’t know she was poor because so was everyone else, and as there was nothing to compare and contrast it to, she really couldn’t complain.

    In high school, during her freshman year at Union High School, she met my grandpa, who was a junior. They locked eyes across the room at an assembly, and after school, he walked her home. From there it lead to my aunt being born when my grandma was just 16, then my uncle at 18, and lastly, my dad at 30. By the time my dad was born, my grandparents were divorced. Shortly after, my grandma and dad moved to California. But, during high school, and even to this day, she set out to be a journalist. And that’s exactly what she has been for the past 60 years or so. Outside of career thoughts, though, she never really thought about the future, and always tried to live each day to its fullest.

    I’ll never forget the last piece of advice she gave me, though. “You should never regret anything in life. Or you’ll have to live with those actions until you die; and so on from there. My grandma, Dorothy TImpy, age 80, is a very wise, and very experienced person. And that is why I chose her for my Narrative assignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment